ClearEdits 4.0 works on the following Microsoft® operating systems: Windows® 7, Windows® Vista, Windows® XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, Windows Me, Windows 98, and Windows 95. ClearEdits runs on Microsoft® Word® 2010, Word® 2007, Word® 2003, Word® 2002, Word® 2000 and Word® 97. ClearEdits uses about 10 megabytes of hard drive space.
Minimum system requirements
- Pentium® or Pentium Pro®, AMD®, or 100 percent Intel®-compatible processor running at 200 MHz.
- 64 megabytes of random access memory (RAM).
- Monitor screen area set at 800 x 600 pixels.
Ideal system environment
- 100 percent Intel-compatible processor running at 500 MHz or faster.
- 128 megabytes of random access memory (RAM).
- Monitor screen area set at 800 x 600 pixels or higher.
The person installing ClearEdits must have software installation privileges. For a network, this is often the system administrator. For home computers, it is the account with administrator privileges. The user must also have “write access privileges” to the folder in which ClearEdits is installed and to all the files in that folder. If you have problems installing ClearEdits, talk to your system administrator.
If you have a previous version of ClearEdits on your computer (or a copy of ClearEdits Clean Up), uninstall it before installing an upgrade. Your ClearScores History and your My Edits entries will not be affected.
If you are downloading ClearEdits from our website:
1. Download the ClearEdits installation package from the website. The file, “CEinstall.zip,” can be saved anywhere on your computer, but we suggest saving it where you can find it easily, such as to your desktop.
2. Make sure Microsoft Word is closed. Double click on “CEinstall.zip” to unzip the file and begin installation.
If you are installing ClearEdits from a CD-ROM:
1. Insert the CD-ROM.
2. Make sure Microsoft Word is closed. On the CD-ROM menu, double click on “ClearEdits Setup.exe.”
Then from either a download or from a CD-ROM:
Follow the instructions on screen to complete the installation. During installation, you will be asked for your registration code, emailed to you after you purchased ClearEdits. If you do not have this code, you can install ClearEdits without it, but you must enter the code within five days. If you do not have the code, just click “Next” when you get to the Product Registration Code screen. If you purchased ClearEdits more than five days ago but do not have this code, contact us at email@example.com, indicating your full name and the name of your organization. To register ClearEdits after installation, click on the “Register” link at the bottom of the “Change Settings” tabs. ClearEdits will be installed as a plug-in for Microsoft Word.
Ensure that Word is configured correctly (for Word® 2002 and newer)
To use ClearEdits, you need to ensure that Word is set to allow macros to run. To enable macros, select the “Tools” menu in Word, then select “Macro,” then “Security.” In the popup window, select the “Security Level” tab, and select the radio button for “Low.” You will need to exit and then restart Word for the settings to take effect. (Word warns that changing your macro setting to “Low” may leave you unprotected from potentially unsafe macros. Please keep your virus protection software current.)
Run ClearEdits by clicking the ClearEdits buttons on your Word® toolbar. ClearEdits works with Outlook when Word is selected as the composition program. Before using ClearEdits you should review the User Guide. You will also find this file in the ClearEdits folder that is created when you install ClearEdits on your computer.
Tips for using ClearEdits
1. You must enable “screen tips” and “animated text” in Microsoft Word for ClearEdits to display its suggestions in your document. Go to the “Tools” menu, select “Options,” and then select the “View” tab. Ensure that these options are turned on under the “Show” category.
2. For Word 2000 and older, if you have “show all” enabled (paragraph button on your toolbar), you will see highlighted and numbered brackets, usually with your initials in them, after each editing suggestion. Deselect “show all” to make the numbered brackets disappear. Either way, ClearEdits suggestions will be in a comment window that is displayed when you place your pointer over a highlighted word or phrase.
3. Word should be set to use balloons in Print and Web layout (select this setting under “Tools,” “Options,” and “Track Changes” tab). For Word 2002 or newer, ClearEdits’ comments will appear in balloons in the margin of your page while in Print Layout view (select this option from “View”). If you see balloons related to formatting after you run ClearEdits (a balloon indicating the font color, for example), you can turn them off with the “Reviewing” toolbar in Word. Go to the “View” menu, then select “Toolbars,” then select “Reviewing” to activate the toolbar. Then on the toolbar deselect “Formatting” from the drop-down menu for “Show.”
Problems installing or running ClearEdits? Visit our support page for frequently asked questions and troubleshooting.